Monday, September 13, 2010

So, here is the new condensed version of the storyline

Change…….It’s Inevitable”

This is a conceptual sculpture using West Michigan resources. Pyramids were chosen to reflect their symbolism of life moving forward, the next life. For myself, I feel as though I have lived many lives. I can’t be alone in this belief. I used life circles throughout this structure to depict life moving forward, never stagnant.

Currently, Michigan is struggling. Our residents are struggling. We have enormous physical plants that stand empty. Michigan had an important presence during the Industrial Revolution of the 1800’s. We were known for our innovation and manufacturing. Many Michigan products are now made overseas. Our businesses are reinventing themselves. I realize that change is a part of life, but……

Whether we like it or not, subtle changes happen daily, whether its our aging, the change of seasons, a caterpillar becoming a butterfly. We have wonderful fresh water lakes that provide hours of enjoyment throughout the year.

As residents, business owners and employees, we struggle with this nagging question, “How can I survive in this changing landscape and sustain my way of life?”

I think of life: infancy, teen years, young adult, parenthood, and aging. My family has lived here for several generations. One of my grandfathers was a grocer with several stores and the other a plumber who became a Great Lakes charter captain.

I narrowed my focus to one man, my grandfather. He loved life. He lived 85 years. He saw many changes in our world. He lived through the horrors of war, death of a child, earned a living to provide for his family, raised children and grandchildren. At the end of his life, I remember his laughter. He and my grandmother could still laugh after more than 60 years together. So, at the end of the day, isn’t this what matters?

Change…….It’s inevitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment