Sunday, November 28, 2010

A healthy ego


"Art is the elimination of the unnecessary. A healthy ego, whether genuine or affected, builds confidence in what you do. The extreme egotist thinks he's doing just fine, no matter what. "If I spit," said Pablo Picasso, "they will take my spit and frame it as great art."

As I am glazing today for my next firing, I can't help but relate this statement to my glazing. I usually have a plan for how I am going to glaze a pot. Sometimes, I change my idea mid glazing and am always disappointed with the results. My original plan, probably, would have had a better outcome. Many times when working, my pieces are better when they are spontaneous. I need to practice not letting my brain take over and just let my intuition and experience direct me.

No comments:

Post a Comment