Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Snow, Kilns, and New Exhibits

It's February.  I thought we were going to have another mild winter.  Not the case, at least for this week.  I am home firing my gas kiln, catching up on paperwork, etc.  

Brian and I were able to get out of Michigan.  Brian had been wanting me to see Tamarindo, Costa Rica.  It was beautiful.



Miles of beaches, lots of surfers, 95 degree days and warm nights.  I found a potter there who makes low fired work.  Arbin Guevara was handed down the coil building traditions by his mother, a Chorotega Indian.  Arbin blends traditional designs with his own patterns.  

Guaitil Potter, Tamarindo Beach, Costa Rica
You can check out his work by clicking on the image of his pots shown above.  

Natural patterns in the sand.  Looks like trees.

Sea Creatures working under the surface.

Of course, many shells. Lots of these auger shells.


For me, going to the beach is about looking to see what I can find along the shore.  Of course, shells, patterns in the sand made by crabs, water, people.  Some of this information is starting to appear on my own personal clay work.  

New Vase by Cyndi Casemier

March 1 is our next First Friday Gallery Walk.  The title of this show is:  "The Yin and Yang of Ceramics:  New work by Julie Devers and Michael Kifer".  More on this later.  If you are in the Midwest, stay warm and be careful driving.  C2


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment